Artwork by Julian Stanczak: Structural Cobalt,
Structural Cadmium Yellow, Exchanging Light A, and Structural Cadmium Red. Used by permission.
|CALL FOR PAPERS & APPLICATIONS - DUE APRIL 15, 2017
75TH ANNUAL MEETING OF THE POLISH AMERICAN HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
PAHA's 75th Annual Meeting will be held on January 5-7, 2018 in Washington, D.C., as part of the 132nd
American Historical Association's Annual Conference. AHA will celebrate the theme of "Race, Ethnicity, and Nationalism in
Global Perspective" and its January 2018 meeting will be held in Washington, DC on January 4 - 7, 2018, at Marriott
Wardman Park, Omni Shoreham, and Hilton Washington. For more information visit the AHA website:
Our focus in this theme is on transnational and global histories of race and ethnicity — not in order to displace the nation, but to ask what
happens when racial identities cross national borders and how that mobility might compel us to rethink the boundaries of the nation itself.
We invite scholars who work on the Polish American experience as part of the greater Polish diaspora as well as those who deal with migration,
ethnic, and regional studies. We invite proposals for sessions as well as individual papers.
Presentations may address the following areas:
The deadline for submissions is April 15, 2017. Abstracts for papers and panel proposals are now being accepted and should be submitted to:
- Polish American experience – all aspects (history, sociology, literature, art, music, etc.) in the Americas
- Migration and settlement patterns
- Ethnic experience and interethnic encounters
- Intersections of ethnicity, class, gender and race
- Ethnic lobbying and occurrences of ethnic mobilization
- Polish Americans and the restoration of Poland’s independence, 1918
PAHA President and Chair of the Program Committee
Anna Mazurkiewicz, Ph.D.
Instytut Historii, Uniwersytet Gdański
ul. Wita Stwosza 55, 80-308, Poland
Electronic proposals in email and word format are strongly preferred.
Individuals and session organizers should include the following information when submitting a proposal:
Please be advised that it is not always possible for PAHA to provide AV equipment for all sessions due to the high cost of mandatory rental from AHA so let us know in your proposal if using AV equipment is necessary for your presentation. We also encourage distribution of paper handouts as an alternative.
All presenters are encouraged to submit their papers for possible publication in PAHA's scholarly journal, Polish American Studies.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR GRADUATE STUDENT/YOUNG SCHOLAR TRAVEL GRANT, DUE APRIL 15, 2017
PAHA encourages graduate students and emerging scholars (up to three years after graduation) to apply for
a Travel Grant. Two such grants of $500.00 each will be awarded to offset travel costs to attend the 2018 PAHA Annual Meeting in Washington,
D.C. The grants will be awarded by the Program Committee for two best conference proposals dealing with the Polish American experience
in any historical epoch, scholarly field, or aspect submitted by junior scholars.
- Paper/Session title(s) (of no more than 20 words)
- Paper/Session abstract(s) (up to 300/500 words, respectively)
- Biographical paragraph or c.v. summary (up to 250 words) for each participant
- Correct mailing and e-mail address for each participant
- Chair (required) and commentator (optional) for the session
- Audiovisual needs, if any.
To apply please submit:
In order to receive the travel grant it is mandatory to present the paper at the conference in person. Awardees will receive remuneration
during the Awards Ceremony in Washington D.C. Failure to present the paper in person at the annual meeting shall result in the
immediate cancellation of the grant.
The deadline for application, to be submitted with the paper proposal, is April 15, 2017.
Please send your application packets by email to chair of the Awards Committee, Dr. Iwona Drag Korga, with the subject line
"Graduate Student Travel Grant" - email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- your paper proposal (as required by the general CFP)
- a brief letter of application (no template will be provided)
- a complete CV
- one letter of recommendation from a senior scholar (e.g. thesis advisor).